What documents are necessary to apply for RA citizenship?
Please prepare the following documents when applying for RA citizenship:
- passport and a copy of the passport;
- 6 (colour) photographs of 35 x 45 mm size;
- birth certificate and a copy of the birth certificate;
- marriage certificate and a copy of the marriage certificate;
- the spouse’s passport and a copy of the passport, or a certificate of the spouse’s citizenship;
- birth certificate of the child and a copy of the certificate, or the certificate that certifies RA citizenship and a copy of the certificate, or the passport of the RA citizen and a copy of the passport.
- residence certificate of a stateless person and a copy of the certificate, or the travel document and the document certifying the RA residence status and copies of these documents;
- any of the documents certifying that the applicant is of Armenian origin (in case of applicants of Armenian origin);
- a document certifying the payment of the state fee (AMD 1,000).*
What are the documents that certify being of Armenian origin?
- Passport bearing a note about being of Armenian nationality;
- Birth certificate bearing a note about being of Armenian nationality;
- Residence certificate of a stateless person, travel document, document certifying the residence status in the Republic of Armenia, bearing a note about being of Armenian ethnicity;
- Document on baptism issued by church institutions listed** and approved by a Republic of Armenia diplomatic representation or a consular body in foreign countries, bearing a note about the baptised person or his/her parent being of Armenian ethnicity;
- Document on being of Armenian ethnicity issued by authorised bodies in a foreign country and approved with an apostille or consular validation;
- Other documents substantiating the circumstance of being of Armenian origin, approved by a Republic of Armenia diplomatic representation or a consular body in foreign countries;
- The birth certificate of a parent (or grandfather, grandmother, sister or brother) or other identification document bearing a note about being of Armenian ethnicity. You may also submit the birth certificate (or another document certifying ethnicity) of your brother or sister from father’s or mother’s side if your consanguineous parent is ethnic Armenian. In case of submitting a document stated in this point it is also necessary to submit a document confirming the relationship with the relevant person.
*Persons of Armenian ethnicity from a country of origin in a state of war are exempt from the payment.
**In Syria, these are the following church institutions: ‘Mayr Ator Surb Echmiadzin’ – ‘Damascus
Tem’; ‘Metsi Tann Kilikio Katoghikosutyun’ – ‘Halepi Tem’ and ‘Jezirei Tem’ (in Aleppo), ‘Hay Katoghike Yekegheci’ – ‘Berio Tem’ (in Aleppo), ‘Damascus Tem’ and ‘Kamishli Tem’. For this and church institutions in other countries, click here.
RA Government decrees No. 1522-N (adopted on 29.11.2012) and No. 1390-N (adopted on 23.11.2007)
How does one acquire RA citizenship?
- The person will personally submit an application to the Armenian diplomatic mission or consular service in a foreign country, or, on the territory of the Republic of Armenia – to the Passports and Visas Department of the RA Police, which is the authorised state governance body in the frame of the RA Police.
- For the collection of additional information about the applicant, the documents will be sent by the Passport and Visas Department to RA Ministry of Foreign Affairs and National Security Service.
- After the collection of comprehensive information, the Passports and Visas Department of the RA Police will send the documents to the Staff of the RA President.
- The applicant will be notified that the documents were sent to the Staff of the RA President.
- The President of the Republic of Armenia will issue a decree on granting RA citizenship.
- The applicant will be notified in order to familiarise himself/herself with the excerpt from the decree of the RA President and participate in the oath ceremony.
- The person shall be issued a passport according to the procedure set forth the by the law.
Applications and petitions concerning citizenship issues should be submitted in writing and considered within a six-month period. In case the application is rejected, the respective person shall be allowed to re-apply after one year from the date of rejection.
The Department sends the information on the process of applications regarding the acquisition of RA citizenship to the e-mail address of the applicant and/or mobile phone through SMS in a 3-day period, if the applicant has voluntarily filled in his/her e-mail address and/or mobile phone number in the questionnaire.
The applicant may be informed about the process of the application also through the official website of the Department, by inserting the individual code provided to him. The individual code is provided after the application is filed with the Department, by the e-mail address of the applicant or through the mobile phone number, simultaneously with the information being sent via SMS.
To see a sample completed application form, click here.
Who is exempted from fees for passports?
Those foreign citizens who are of Armenian origin or those citizens of the Republic of Armenia who are permanent residents of a foreign country where an emergency situation has emerged that threatens the life and health of the citizens, are exempted from the payment of fees for issuing or replacing a passport of an RA citizen that is valid in foreign countries.
RA Government decree No. 1469-N, adopted on 22.11.2012 Article 11 of the RA Law “On RA Citizenship”
For additional information please contact the Passports and Visas Department of RA Police; address: 17/10 building, 4th district, Davtashen, Yerevan; telephone: (010) 370263, hotline: (010) 37 02 64.